November 18, 209
Ahhhh. Just the thought of our upcoming family's Thanksgiving dinner makes my mouth water. So why should we humans enjoy all the tasty treats? Thanks to DogFancy magazine and The Healthy Dog Cookbook*, here is a recipe for a Thanksgiving dinner that your four-legged family members are sure to love:
You can create this tasty meal for your special friend using your cooked, skinless, turkey leftovers or by following the roasting instructions for uncooked turkey pieces.
Nine 1-cup servings
Ingredients: 3 lbs skinless turkey pieces (light and dark meat)
1 c (about 6 oz) oatmeal
1 lb sweet potatoes, cubed
2 tbsp cranberry sauce
4 tbsp turkey gravy
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a roasting pan.
2) Roast turkey until meat juices run clear when pierced with a skewer. Boneless breast or thigh, 30-45 mins; boned breast or thigh, 45-60 mins. Let cool.
3) Remove all bones; dice meat into large pieces.
4) If using fresh sweet potatoes, roast with turkey for 25 - 30 mins or until tender. Let cool, then peel and dice.
5) Meanwhile, cook oatmeal according to package instructions.
6) Mix turkey meat, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, and cranberry sauce together. Pour gravy over the mixture.
Small dogs, 3/4 cup
Medium dogs, 1 1/2 cups
Larger or more active dogs, 3 cups
Be sure to follow this recipe exactly and not make any additions. Spices such as sage (commonly found in stuffing/dressing) can be poisonous to dogs.
* The Healthy Dog Cookbook: 50 Nutritious and Delicious Recipes Your Dog Will Love was published by TFH Publications, Inc. in 2008 © Ivy Press Ltd.