- When your dog is looking elsewhere, say your dog's name followed by the words "WATCH ME".
- When he looks at you, reward him with a treat.
- Gradually increase the time by withholding the treat for several seconds.
- Practice this command often - every time you want to get your dog's attention.
Some dogs are a little easier to teach this command than others. For those four-legged friends that don't quite understand, try using the following method:
- Say your dog's name while, at the same time, holding a treat in front of his nose.
- Slowly move the treat from the front of your dog's nose to your face while saying the words "WATCH ME".
- Hold the treat between your eyes for several seconds.
- Reward him with the treat.
- Once your dog is consistently following the treat, try luring him without the treat using the method previously discussed.
Once your dog understands this command, it will be easier for you to start working with him to carry out your commands in more public areas.